1. The two catalog entries I tried gave me no results when entered into the "advanced keyword search." The entries are:
1. CFCs AND ozone layer
2. ozone depletion AND CFCS
The catalog then gave me other results based on its findings using the search terms: 'ozone and layer' and 'ozone and depletion and CFCs.'
BIBLIOGRAPHIC INFORMATION
a. Author-Cagin, Smith
b. Title-Between Earth and Sky: how CFCs changed our world and endangered the ozone layer.
c. Edition-1st
d. Place of Publication-New York
e. Publisher-Pantheon Books
f. Date of Publication-1993
2. The location of the book is in the "Book Stacks"
call number: TD887.C47.C34.1993
Status: ON THE SHELF
3. When I clicked the "Full Record Tab," the catalog showed me all subject headings:
4. SUBJECT HEADING INDEX
Edition-1st
Describt=xi, 430p. :ill. j24cm
Note-inclueds bibliographical references (p.[401]-408) and index
Subject-Chlorofluorocarbons-Environmental aspects.
Ozone layer depletion
Addl Author-Dray, Phillip
Subject heading I choose-ozone layer depletion.
There were 15 results of relevance to the subject heading I choose.
5. a. Do you have more or fewer entries with your subject heading search than with your keyword search?
Yes! With my keyword search in the beginning, the catalog only gabe me one result after it changed my advanced search terms into terms it recognized, which were my original terms only in a variation. As a result of that, I only recieved one result, the author being Smith Cagin. I recieved 15 results when I choose the subject heading of my choice, "Ozone layer depletion."
b. As you examine these results, are they more on target then the results you retrieved from your keyword search?
Yes my results were very much more on target compared to my keyword search. The first results were more in depth about exact substances that deplete the ozone layer, which I happened to find more useful then just regular descriptions and definitions of the key terms which I have experienced in the past with researching resources. I think the results are desired because by choosing a subject heading, it is in context of what the library catalog already offers or recognizes.
B. In your own words, describe the difference between a keyword search and a subject heading search.
In my own words, the difference between a keyword seach and a subject heading search is not that big. A keyword seach are words that are not recognized thoroughly by the search engine or catalog in which one is using. In my case, the catalog switched my keywords into phrases in which it recognized and gave me results in the end. A subject heading is more programmed by the catalog through coding of structured language which makes it easier to find and give results to the user.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

When I conducted a keyword search with
ReplyDeleteozone
AND CFCs
I got 2 results.
I got the same 2 results when I search
ozone depletion
AND CFCs
Perhaps you entered "ozone depletion and CFCs" in one line? If you are going to use Boolean operators in the catalog, you need to use the drop down operators in the catalog, so "ozone" goes on one line and "CFCs" goes on another.
Did you place your other searches on the same line also? I am referring to 'ozone and layer' and 'ozone and depletion and CFCs'?
I know that something's not quite right here.
While it is certainly true that subject headings are structured language, I don't agree that there isn't that much difference. There's a huge difference, regardless of whether you see that difference in every set of results you gather. Keyword searching is machine searching--that's all. Each character is matched up to the characters in the record and that's what you get, regardless of what the item is about.
With subject headings, they are pre-structured (see the 5 volumes of headings in books at the reference desk) and every item is read or viewed by a human being, who assigns one of these headings. That's why they are on target. They are the result of many human beings using the same language system, which ensures that if a book is about the ozone layer and CFCs, it shows up under the prescribed heading.