1. How can a balance be achieved between protecting privacy and meeting the needs of national security?
Some sort of balance can be achieved between protecting privacy and meeting the needs of national security by maybe not releasing full detailed documents to the public. Another way might be to allow only students that are directed with full permission and reason by professors to view such information on the internet. Also, it might be a good idea to require a log in to view such information, that way it is clear on who exactly viewed the information and when.
2. How did you react to the list of challenged books (were you surprised, for example)? Do you think some books should be banned or should books be freely available? Why?
I was really surprised about the list of challenged books. I don’t really understand what type of complaint could be filed against such books as The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Color Purple, and I know Why the Caged-Bird Sings. From my knowledge, these books only expressed issues that were appropriate for the specific time period in which each book takes place. I think all books should be freely available because a novel and all other books are written with a specific message that is surrounded only by usually truthful and realistic events that are relevant to the story.
3. How have your overall ideas about information ethics changed or not changed after completing this unit?
My thoughts about information ethics has drastically changed. I never knew copyright laws were that much in depth from years it is effective to who is reliable for such information such as librarians. All of this information came to me as a surprise and kind of made me look at text with more appreciation because of how the long the process really is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Regarding privacy, how would you enforce your ideas? I think it would be very difficult. Also, privacy laws have been weakened over the last several years, so invasion of privacy is easier than it used to be. Finally, technology has made it possible to invade people's privacy more than ever. These conditions create a number of challenges.
ReplyDeleteAs for banned books and censorship, I agree with you completely.